Subject: Re: [Leica] Filter for hospital shots
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:07:53 -0700

Simon Lamb wrote:

> My wife will be giving birth to our thrid child in about six weeks time and
> I wanted to ask what would be the best filter for use in a hospital room
> with flourecscent tube lighting.  I have used B&W filters before but I am
> open to any suggestions of better filters for the Leica glass.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Simon,
A couple of things to consider.

1 / This event is B&W only!!  Therefore no filters are required. I'd use
a film rated at 800 be that from whatever film manufacturer you use. And
process in XTOL or your developer of choice.

2 /  This may not be so much of a problem for you already having a
couple of children.  I suppose it would make a difference if you were
not in attendance when your wife delivered of the previous two.
However, if you were not there during the moment of truth, I'm sure
you'll be tooooooo busy giving TLC to your wife to be taking pictures.

Having shot many birthings over the years I'm always surprised when a
"father to be" says he wants to take his own pictures, as he's an
important part during labour in giving his wife care, therefore part of
the subject to be photographed. I've yet to see a father photograph
himself while giving his wife comfort.

And have also been there when the father-to-be put the camera to his eye
as the baby emerged, where upon he promptly fainted to the floor.  Only
to regain his composure after the event was all over,  Therefore missing
what he wanted to be there for. :-)

I will also suggest that there really are no photographs  of the baby
emerging that are considered "family pictures". Let me assure you that
your wife may not have any concern at the moment of delivery, but she'll
probably be quite some defensive after the fact.

I find the best location is to work from the mother's head looking at
the medical team doing there thing, which I'm sure many who've shot
birthings will agree.  But then there are folks who wish to see the
complete event,  then invite their friends over for drinks and lay out
their wife's bottom end for all to see just like a cow giving birth in a field.

Not my cuppa tea so's to speak.

Good luck with the delivery and go B&W, as they'll be far more memorable
than a collection of weird looking colour things that you'll always make
excuses for, "little willie didn't look quite that weird a colour!"

ted

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] Filter for hospital shots)
Message from "Simon Lamb" <s_lamb@compuserve.com> ([Leica] Filter for hospital shots)