Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon F motor speeds
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:31:54 +1200

Hi Michael,

No, you're not wrong in thinking the footage could have come from a
film camera, and i think a great deal of the footage in this film are
stills from movie or television cameras. However, all of the film
uses stills to communicate, with no sequences of frames, with the
exception of one moment. Many of the images used are PJ photos (one
of which i picked up as a post card last year).

The question i had wasn't specifically calling for Nikon FPS. I
mentioned i had heard about the Gattling gun of motors that Nikon
produced, but i didn't know when it was produced. What i wanted to
find out was the possibility of using the 35mm still camera for this
sequence. I'm hypothesizing that this sequence is going to be a
comment on the availability of photographic technology for the masses
to be used as effectively as the media complex of the time. In this
case, for revolutionary purposes.

Thank goodness for the Lug wealth of knowledge.
Yours, highly uncaffeinated :-)
Gary

>Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:24:36 PDT
>From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [Leica] Nikon F motor speeds
>Strangely enough, through all the follow-up postings about the motor speeds
>of Nikon Fs, I don't think the original question got answered at all did it?
>
>I thought (it was a long time ago) it was what were the fast motor-drive
>cameras of the time that could have been used for jerky-motion movie
>footage. There were the various Robot cameras, and the B&H foton, but I'd
>have thought that the totally logical camera would have been the ultimate
>motorized 35mm camera of all time--the movie camera. Certainly there would
>be no reason at all not to have shot original footage the same way as any
>other movie, and produce the effect in editing. Therefore, the effect itself
>could have been produced at ANY time subsequent to the development of motion
>pix. For this effect the Nikon F seems like the least logical tool of all.
>
>If I misinterpreted the original question, just ignore me, as usual :-)
>
>- --Michael Darnton
- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University