Subject: RE: [Leica] 90mm f/2 APO ASPH
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:24:55 -0700

Neither of the defects you mention are objectively significant.  They may,
however, be subjectively significant.  The fact that you are wondering about
them here indicates that they do matter to you, at least a bit.  All we can
tell you is that the blemishes you have noticed will not affect the
pictures.  What we can't tell you is how they will affect your "bond" to the
lens.

What I have found is that my sensitivity to cosmetic imperfections in any
object diminishes over time as I gain confidence in its operation.  My
current car has dings on both front fenders that were acquired when the car
was less than a month old.  I thought for sure I'd have to have them fixed -
a year later they're still there and they don't bug me (except after a car
wash when the sun is shining :-\)  Heck, I even shot weddings for a year
with a Kowa lens that had edge cracks on the rear element.

I may be less sensitive to stuff like that than you are, though.  I know
some people on here get pretty bent about minor flaws in Leica equipment,
and if you're buying new at Leica prices you do have a right to reject
samples with defects.

How's that for equivocation?

Paul Chefurka

Replies: Reply from Jeff S <4season@boulder.net> (Re: [Leica] 90mm f/2 APO ASPH)