Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Posing - weddings, groups etc
From: "Hugh Thompson" <painfree@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 02:08:34 -0400

Doug - I know what you are referring to regarding stress - I do family group
photography on Sundays.  This last Sunday, I was posing a family consisting
of grandmother, her four daughters and their husbands, and nine children,
mostly four years old and younger.  Only problem I had was with one of the
husbands who petulantly announced that he would not kneel on the grass (very
important that he do this, otherwise the pose would end up with one adult
popped up!) - these days I don't take any bull from children or adults, and
said, "I am in charge, and if you don't like it we will proceed without
ou"  - I guess his wife spoke with him because he came back, and later we
shook hands etc.

It is important for the photographer to take charge at a shoot.  When I was
inexperienced, children ran all over the place, I got very flustered and
flunked a number of shoots.  Now I will listen to suggestions, but make it
clear the final decision is with me - that way I can concentrate on the
important technical requirements of the shoot - much less stressful, and
people have respect for you because they feel that you know what you are
doing.  You might even be able to have a joke with that person who otherwise
might seek to exploit you.  Hope these comments are helpful.

Hugh Thompson