Subject: [Leica] CLA M Cameras: lubrication
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:06:59 -0500

John & Tim wrote:

> environments naturally. Curiously, in the newer cameras, winterising is no
> longer needed. I have a test of a M6 frozen to -20šC (not just
> exposed) and
> the shutter was still within 4% percent accuracy!

>John,

>I have tested my M6 at -40c with both the camera and the photographer frozen
>and neither worked too well!  Apart from everything slowing down (including
>my brain functions) you need a pipe wrench to turn the focussing ring...
>among other things

>Interestingly my N***n F4 has done well at those temps and I have usually
>packed it in before the camera did.

>Tim A
>North of 60

My cold weather tests (includes living in igloos, travelling hundreds of miles by
snowmobile, never bathing and eating polar bear meat for breakfast) proved to me that
the M6 is not reliable in the cold - particularly the shutter. I carry with me a
new-ish M6, an old M3, a N**on F2 and an F4. The F2 and M3 works, first thing in the
morning after a night at below minus 30. The F4 eventually powersd up, but it and the
M6 remain erratic.

The shutter fabric on the M6 is no longer what Leitz once used (M3 etc. is rubberized
silk, the M6 is some kind of synthetic).

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] CLA M Cameras: lubrication)