Subject: Re: [Leica] No strap!!??
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 06:42:03 -0700

Michael Darnton wrote:
>      Like a lot of stragegies, this one seems to have less than universal
> application. I guess it works fine if you only actively use one camera at a
> time, never change lenses, and rarely change film on the fly, but for a
> working photographer in a fast and changing situation I can't see it.

Hi Michael!

     Certainly, for the photojournalist 'no strap' is impractical.  I was
commenting from a perspective of personal photography in an unhurried,
non-deadline atmosphere, where not using a neckstape may encourage the
photographer to see things in a new way....at least for a time.  How
true it is, though, that a 'new way' of seeing soon becomes old. That's
the challenge of creative photography, or creativity in the arts in
general.

     For example, once I made a fine image, a street portrait of a couple.
The man was a full head above his girlfriend, so this made a good vertical
composition with the Leica.  At the time this was 'new', at least for me.
Years later, I attempted the same thing with a different couple, and
for whatever reason, the image was now a lifeless cliche.

					Cheers,

							Rich