Subject: Re: [Leica] LTM finder
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:11:51 +0100

Barker, J. Madison wrote:

> I recently bought a IIIf and a 50/2 Summicron.  I've heard that the
> viewfinder on this camera is supposed to match up with a 50 lens, and it
> seems to, pretty well (though I've cut the tops off a few people's heads).
> Anyone have any thoughts or guidance about the coincidence between a LTM
> finder and a 50 lens?
>
> Along the same lines, I suppose I will need an auxiliary finder to shoot any
> other focal length (especially shorter than 50)?  I've got a meter in the
> shoe and, IMO, that's bad enough.  I just don't like the looks of an aux.
> finder, so if there's any other solution, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Barker
The screw mount Leica cameras did not have any parallax correction in the view
finder, so when you are quite close to your subject you must allow for the
fact the point of view of the view finder is slightly higher than point of
view of the taking lens and keep your subject slightly lower in the finder. I
don't know of any way to use other focal lengths on a screw mount camera with
out an auxiliary finder, with the exception of the 3G which has frame lines
for the fifty and ninety and parallax correction.
John