Subject: Re: [Leica] (Xtol) Why 1+3 dilution ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:48:13 -0700

Julian Thomas wrote:

> > I'm told that it increases film speed by 1/3 to 1/2 a stop.  This is why I
> > use it with the Neopan 1600 - to squeeze that
> > extra ounce of speed out of it.  I rate the film at 1200 and develop using
> > Xtol 1:3.
> >
> > Is it correct?  I'm not sure.  The Film Development Cookbook might tell
> you.
> >
> > Regards
> > Gareth Jolly
>
> hi gareth,
>
> According to the *.PDF download from the Kodak site 1:1 'will provide
> slightly greater film speed, enhanced sharpness and shadow detail, and
> slightly more grain'. 1:3 'will generally provide less film speed shadow
> details, with slightly enhanced sharpness and slightly more grain.' (p2)
>
> ope this helps
>
> Julian

An increase in film speed can often be the case with dilution as you get a
formula which has more compensation!
The development in the highlights peters out quicker in between agitations as
the developer is more dilute. It's got less MOXIE!
But it keeps working in the thin, more clear shadow areas thus insuring maximum
film speed.
Because of the highlight development petering out so quickly (the dense areas
use up the develper touching them) in between development cycles (I do it once
per minute) you also get increased edge effects.
That gives you a "sharper(to use a crude term)" image; a more delineated (good
word) image.
With just a tiny bit more grain but with Xtol I don't have a grain problem with
ANY film at 1:3.
I use Delta 3200 at 1:1 not because of grain but because i think the film eats
developer. As T Max 100 would seem to do as my friend Byron Rakitzis says from
much experience with that film.
I'm getting GREAT results from Neopan 1600 1:3 for 16 minutes I throw it in the
same tank as my Delta 400!
VERY CLEAN LOOKING NEGS! (unlike the Delta 3200 or T Max 3200) Which is nice
although they all print cleaner then they look.

By the way if you want to see a great example of dated diffusion look at the
SHARPER IMAGE CATALOG!
The only catalog using diffusion to illustrate its products.
The only catalog which isn't sharp. The SHARPER IMAGE CATALOG. (Get it!)
Mark Rabiner
my monthly dilution tirade! Must be a tidal thing!