Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica R: Is It Worth It?
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 12:29:29 +1200

B.D. It is not like that at all! Depending how much time and energy
you are using lenses of longer focal length it's a perfectly valid
system to use. You're not only capitalising on your existing lens
kit, you're also capitalising on the familiarity of using your
Leica-M's 1-6.

I'm also somewhat incredulous that i'm being cast as some sort of
evangelist or fetishist because i use a product that hasn't been made
since 1984. By that rationale, we should all put our M6's on the
shelf and buy something new. The Visoflex is a valid option. An
option B.D. Nothing more.

Besides, i much prefer lollies to jollies these days.

Best of light,
Gary

Getting his 'jollies' without cameras since 1986

>At 7:30 AM -0700 3/5/2000, B.D. wrote:
>No you don't...Not unless you get your jollies from using optical equipment
>that's the equivalent of a Model T with bailing wire used to attach plywood
>wings to make an "airplane."
>
>The Nikon/R question is a really subjective one. If you already have a Nikon
>system, with pro lenses, you need to weigh the theoretical optical
>improvement against the bath you'll take on the Nikon stuff. And when I say
>theoretical, I don't argue that the Leica stuff may not do better on MTF
>charts....whether it does better in the real world, however, with the camera
>clenched in your shaky hands, is another question entirely....

B. D.