Subject: [Leica] Leica bags report
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 07:06:58 -0700 (PDT)

- --0-719885386-957362818=:5629

Intrigued by various comments on the LUG, I have recently bought two satchel-type bags for my M outfit. I know it sounds a bit frivolous, but I like bags and I am forever in search of the perfect one. Considering the value of the contents, the cost of another bag is peanuts. Anyway, the two bags are the Domke F-803 satchel ($78 plus $18 each for the two inserts) and the M-Classic bag from www.mclassics.com (around $95), also a satchel-style bag.

The main selling point of these satchels is that they do not look like expensive camera bags and that they are compact and easy to work out of. The Domke writeup talks about avoiding unnecessary padding which adds bulk to the bag and makes it swing away from your body when you walk. The M-Classic web site also stresses the convenience and compactness.

In comparing the two, I am a bit ambivalent. Both are very well made, have similar dimensions and each has some good and bad points. The Domke offers better protection, as the material is thicker than the M-Classic. Also, the inserts for the Domke are great, as they are closed at the bottom so that little bits do not migrate from one compartment to another. In contrast, the M-Classic is a bit weak on the protection side: the material, while rugged and weather-resistant, is very thin and I do not feel comfortable setting the bag down on a hard surface for fear of knocking the rangefinder out of alignment. I have put some padding from another camera bag at the bottom to alleviate this. The M-Classic lacks the handle of the Domke and I do not like that way the shoulder strap is attached to the bag. On the other hand it is more roomy than the Domke and has a more flexible closing mechanism: either Velcro, or snaps, or a belt-type closure, while the Domke has one, rather inconvenient, keychain-type snap.

Both bags accomodate my two M6s and the 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses, plus a Manfrotto mini tripod, the SF-20 flash and some film and other small odds and ends. The main difference is that the M-Classic allows me to carry both M6s with a lens mounted while the Domke requires me to keep on of them without a lens on.

In summary, I like the Domke because of the better protection but the M-Classic is easier to work out of. I would not use the latter, however, without the padding I have added in the bottom.

Nathan

Do You Yahoo!?
- --0-719885386-957362818=:5629

<P>Intrigued by various comments on the LUG, I have recently bought two satchel-type bags for my M outfit. I know it sounds a bit frivolous, but I like bags and I am forever in search of the perfect one. Considering the value of the contents, the cost of another bag is peanuts. Anyway, the two bags are the Domke F-803 satchel ($78 plus $18 each for the two inserts) and the M-Classic bag from <A href="http://www.mclassics.com">www.mclassics.com</A> (around $95), also a satchel-style bag.</P>
<P>The main selling point of these satchels is that they do not look like expensive camera bags and that they are compact and easy to work out of. The Domke writeup talks about avoiding unnecessary padding which adds bulk to the bag and makes it swing away from your body when you walk. The M-Classic web site also stresses the convenience and compactness.</P>
<P>In comparing the two, I am a bit ambivalent. Both are very well made, have similar dimensions and each has some good and bad points. The Domke offers better protection, as the material is thicker than the M-Classic. Also, the inserts for the Domke are great, as they are closed at the bottom so that little bits do not migrate from one compartment to another. In contrast, the M-Classic is a bit weak on the protection side: the material, while rugged and weather-resistant, is very thin and I do not feel comfortable setting the bag down on a hard surface for fear of knocking the rangefinder out of alignment. I have put some padding from another camera bag at the bottom to alleviate this. The M-Classic lacks the handle of the Domke and I do not like that way the shoulder strap is attached to the bag. On the other hand it is more roomy than the Domke and has a more flexible closing mechanism: either Velcro, or snaps, or a belt-type closure, while the Domke has one, rather inconvenient, keychain-type snap.</P>
<P>Both bags accomodate my two M6s and the 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses, plus a Manfrotto mini tripod, the SF-20 flash and some film and other small odds and ends. The main difference is that the M-Classic allows me to carry both M6s with a lens mounted while the Domke requires me to keep on of them without a lens on.</P>
<P>In summary, I like the Domke because of the better protection but the M-Classic is easier to work out of. I would not use the latter, however, without the padding I have added in the bottom.</P>
Send instant messages & get email alerts with <a href="http://im.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! Messenger</a>.
- --0-719885386-957362818=:5629--