Subject: [Leica] Leica IIIf, Canon 35mm/2.8 Lens Acquired
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:48:53 -0700

Hi everyone,

     I've just acquired yesterday a Leica IIIf.  Around the top shutter
dial, there's a secondary setting with a small window and numbered
0 through 20 with dots at the half.  What is this?  Something to do
with the flash synch perhaps?

     Also, on top of the film advance knob, there's two small windows,
one currently reads Weston 24 and the other ASA 32.  How are these
setting changed?

    I like the screw mount Leicas.  They fit in a pants or coat pocket.
Bulging, yes, but not as uncomfortable as an M model. I'm a lens cap
type rather than a neckstrap type.  Today, I put a small piece
of medical tape around half of the inside of the metal lens cap
because it was too loose and I was afraid of banging up the glass
if it came off in the pocket or backpack.

    And the glass is a Canon 35/2.8.  There's no finder, but I've
had some experience previously with IIIa's and a IIIb. Has anyone
on the list had any experience with this lens who would care
to comment?  It's definitely post-WWII, as it's single coated.
Probable from around the Korean War era when all the PJs were
raving about the Japanese glass.  It does stop down to f/22.

    These non-Leica lenses sell for less than half the price of Leitz,
as long as they are not in a big demand from collectors.  Like the
Nikkor 25mm/4 I had years ago.  A nice tiny lens with a comfortable
finder.  Just having all the case parts makes them worth about twice
as much.  And the Canon 50mm/0.95 I had at the same time, though
as discussed here previously, was most likely a custom job.  I mean
it blocked half of the viewfinder, but could be focused accurately
with the rangefinder.

    And if all those PJs in Korea were claiming how great they were, at
the time, they can't be all that horrible even today.

    So, now that I've got a Leica, I won't have to continue to feel
guilty about posting to this list!  Not that it bothered me...

				Happy Photographing,

							Rich Lahrson
							tripspud@wenet.net