Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: NO MORE DARKROOM?
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 08:03:20 +0100

I thought like you until about one month ago when I bought a new scanner and
a new printer (Epson 1270) and suddenly I have changed my mind.   Whilst I
agree totally that the prints will not equal a well produced black and white
print from a top class printer, I would not worry about putting the prints
into an exhibition because I am satisfied that my black and whites are still
of exhibition quality.   I was never happy in the darkroom and never felt I
was 'good' at it although I have often been congratulated on my print
quality.   But I still have a lot of control over the way the final print
looks, I can still select my paper type (no, I don't have 'fibre' but I do
have a wide range of watercolour papers) and I can still dodge and burn in
where necessary.

But the biggest thing for me is that it has opened up the whole gamut of
colour printing from my library of transparencies which have been denied to
me because of my inability to print them and the high cost of poor colour
prints from commercial labs.   The print quality that I am now getting from
a good slide is staggeringly good!

So I, like many others, am having to eat my words.   My wife is looking at
the possibility of getting a bedroom back and I am (at last) showing people
my colour work at a standard that I can feel proud of.   Don't talk too
soon, Jim.

Gerry