Subject: Re: [Leica] awaiting the wrath of the Leica cops
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:46:34 +1000

Dan Honemann wrote:

Snip

> Brougham,
>

> I _have_ considered putting an orange or red filter to help improve contrast
> with b&w shooting.  But that wouldn't live on the lens, and so wouldn't
> serve the purpose of protecting it.
>
> Dan

Dan, with a Leica lens and colour film, I never use a UV filter for
everyday
use.

However on my other camera body, which is always loaded with black and
white( A
suggestion from either Ted Grant or Brian Reid.)  I use either a yellow,
as my
first preference, or a green-yellow filter as second. Really never shoot
without
one. You could then call it a lens protector (as a bonus). I still
believe, the
standard B&W film requires it.

A good sturdy lens hood (screwed or clipped on) I find, is still the
best
protector. It shields not only side lights, but also rain and fingers.
It also
shields the curtains somewhat from the direct sun And you can rest  the
lens
face down.

I  would not even consider using a lens without a good lens hood.

Regards, Horst Schmidt