Subject: Re: [Leica] Great Photographers DB
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 19:45:15 -0400

I am not in any way a photography scholar, but was curious why portrait was
omitted?  I just finished looking at Annie Liebovitz's "Women" book in the
bookstore.  If I had the spare cash I would have bought it.  How is she
viewed in the art photography world?  Some of the pictures there were
stunning ... one of Barbara Bush in particular amazed me.  And I think of
her past work; the John Lennon in a fetal position with Yoko Ono portrait
is indelible in my memory.

And who could forget the Yousuf Karsh portrait of Churchill?  It made the
cover of Life in the early stages of America's involvement in WWII, and
provided an image of resolute courage and determination that inspired a
nation.