Subject: [Leica] Re: Gossen Luna Pro
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 16:38:37 -0700

At 06:31 PM 5/1/00 -0400, Andrew Moore wrote:

>Yes -- the non-digital one gives you a great analog scale which (I find)
>gives the user a more intuitive idea of how far off the exposure is from a
>given point.  A digital reading doesn't do that.  I find the same advantage
>with an analog clock dial compared to a digital clock.  It also does
>exactly what I tell it to do, just like the M itself, with minimal
>electronics to get in the way of a grea user interface.
>
>--Andrew

Not true. The digital meter has BOTH analog and digital scale. I have a
Gossen digital meter and I use the analog scale all of the time. Because of
the reason you mentioned above. But the digital readout is very useful as
well. The digital will read and display, on the analog scale, the contrast
ratio (brightness ratio) of the scene as well. The digital meter will
compute a filter factor through the actual filter you are about to use. the
digital meter takes a 25 degree reflected reading whereas the non digital
meter takes a 30 degree reading. The flash meter simultaneously gives you
the ambient reading WITH the flash reading. Flash on the digital part and
ambient on the analog part. Really nifty! there's lots more.

Jim