Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography
From: "Glenn Thrall" <gthrall@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 09:30:58 -0700

There is a widespread belief among Guatemalan Indians, and some city
dwellers, that outsiders come to steal their children and use them for
transplant body parts.

The Japanese tourists couldn't have known this, the tour operator should
have made the tourists aware of the belief.

Also, many Guatemalan Indians do not want their photos taken ... especially
without being asked first. However, the belief that outsiders are using
their children for body parts was probably the issue.

That said, I returned to the US from Guatemala a week ago and had no
problems.

Glenn

mailto:gthrall@earthlink.net
mailto:gwthrall@hotmail.com