Subject: Re: [Leica] sharpness & optical quality
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 09:46:07 -0700

Larry-
Point well taken, and I say that because the same photo has given me pause
as well... usually I end up kicking myself, and saying, "Now why the hell
can't I get a shot like that!?"
I do feel that for some of us more mundane shooters- like myself, we need
ALL the help we can get. JUst yesterday, I was printing some test shots
taken with a 50mm Summarit-M inside a dimly lit restaurant. I know that at
1/30 of a second at f1,5 that it was as sharp as it would have been handheld
with the Summilux, but my friend Bob, who was there, commented on the
'bokeh' of the people in the background. They weren't shapelss blobs, or
angular shadows, but smoothly rendered out of focus, beautiful soft edges,
and that seemed to blend into a chiarascuro rather that be a mosaic of
clashing lights and darks.
I sometimes wonder why I keep the Summilux- it is an outstanding lens, to be
sure, but for my style, the Summarit, and HP5 in the PMK seems so natural
that I immediately felt 'at home'!
Then again, that's probably why I carry the 1939 IIIa and Elmar around as my
'tote camera'! I'm a retro kinda guy. I fault no one on their choice of
equipment- if it suits their way of seeing the world, than I am all for it!
Ithink that Ted illustrates that with his Friday For Sales! If he doesn't
use it, he sells it, and gets what the next job demands! I don't think we
can all be like the guy, Norm Abrams, on the TV woodworking show- we can't
have every tool that Porter, Makita, and Craftsman makes- like he does- but
picking the right tool for your vision, AND being able to use it to build
the image you want is what seperates the true artists from the wannabees!
 That is a tip o' th' hat to you, Ted, and Tina too!- and anyone who depends
on their vision and work to put beans on the table.)
Regardless, the refugee photo, uncropped in several books, is a really
decent image, and has its own 'bokeh'. The Nikkor 105 is a really
outstanding lens- it may not benchmark like a Leitz lens, but it is no
slouch, and the way it was used was very effective. Luck? I don't know, but
my hat's off to him anyway!
Dan ( Have Leica, will schlepp) Post