Subject: Re: [Leica] historical defecation
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 05:38:40 -0400

Al-
I've always wanted an OED, and a couple Christmases ago my wife bought me (at my
suggestion) the compact version.  I thought I would be able to make do with it.
Boy, was I wrong!  It is printed on Bible paper, with eight page images on each
page.  Even witih the included magnifying glass it was too hard to read.  And
the weight of the volume was too much to comfortably hold and peruse while
sitting in a easy chair.  So, your idea of getting the 20 volume set is a good
one.  You also might consider the new CD ROM version, or a subscription to the
new online version.  But, don't get the compact.  Mine went back to Barnes and
Noble.

How much is the 20 volume set vs the CD ROM?  I'm thinking that you could get a
mini-laptop computer to read the CD ROM version for perhaps the difference in
price...then be able to use the computer for other things (like the Leica list)
too.
John