Subject: RE: [Leica] summicron question.
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:12:09 -0700

>  I had been using a 35/2 from 69 I believe with a little ab on the
> apeture ring and I'm not particularly happy with the sharpness wide
> open.
>
> Will I like this lens any better or will I NEEED a ASPH35/2?

I really, really hate to do this, Jeremy.

When I got back into Leicas a scant few years ago, I was bitten by the
"don't worry, the old ones are just as good" bug.  My first 35 was one of
your vintage with the aperture tab.  Like you, I didn't think much of the
sharpness wide open - I was coming from a Nikkor 35/2 AIS, and they seemed
very similar to me.  So I bought a late-version pre-ASPH lens.  From 4.0 on
down it was fine, but I still didn't like its performance at 2.0 and 2.8 -
it was better than the older one, but not by a lot.

So I bit the bullet and bought a 35/2.0 ASPH.  It is a wonderful lens.  Tack
sharp with very high contrast wide open - just a sterling performer.
Completely usable in classic Leica fashion - wide open.  You will never
regret buying one.  Nor will your bank loans officer :-)

> Is it just me or do others find it difficut to trip the shutter...
> seeems to me there is a ton of travel n the shutter relase button..

Try a Tom Abrahamsson Soft Release.  Inexpensive, well-made, and it fixes
whatever might ail a Leica shutter release.  You'll even get a few nifty pix
of the tip of your elbow, the ceiling and the floor as a bonus!

Paul Chefurka