Subject: Re: [Leica] summicron question -- go creative
From: J Vaughan <sthawk_ontheroad@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:27:18 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> on 27/4/00 11:15 PM, Andre Jean Quintal at megamax@abacom.com wrote:
>
> > In other words: sharpness is NOT everything
> > in photography. What about "residual" tonal gradation,
> > shadow detail, highlights' subtlety, color accuracy when its
> acutance /
> > edge resolution goes down somewhat at f/2.8 or f/2 ?
>
> Right on. When will people realise this? Most modern lenses are
> 'sharp'
> enough. The occasional massive step forward in resolution (35 lux ->
> 35 lux
> asph) excepted. The character resides in the rest of their qualities.
> Add
> bokeh to the above list, for a start. Judging a lens by its sharpness
> is
> like judging a car by the size of its engine.
> --
> Johnny Deadman

Yep... Its true... I even agree.
Afterall I do have a couple of Fine Arts Degrees. ;-)
 BUT... For print work and such SHarper is Better. I have little or no
intention of getting rid of this lens ( unless its colectable and
someone wans it... in my hands it'll get the crap beaten out of it)
Otherwise I'll be looking for a  sharper lens in the near future.

I shot a bunch of stuff in low light (a funeral service) and the images
are flat and not as sharp as I'd like. Not that I won't use them but..
if the photos were for publication they wouldn't be used more than
likely.

Jeremy