Subject: Re: [Leica] Human Traffic
From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:39:46 EDT

Living in NYC as I do I find street photography rather easy; I particularly
like Broadway south of Houston St., where the cast of characters is highly
varried, to say the least.   I try to work as fast as possible and sometimes
shoot from the hip or chest with a prefocused F2/35 or 24mm lens.  The only
problems I've had were  when taking pictures of school children on a public
walkway  in  Chinatown for a project about that area that I was working on.

The problem came from a female non-Chinese guardian of the children, who
became physically agressive with me.   When I got home I called the school
and spoke to the principal,  making clear that I was well within my rights to
take pictures and that the employee's behavior was unaccceptable.
    In general,  I shoot first and ask questions later.    I strongly
believe that we have a right to phootograph anyone/anything in public. But
sorry to say I get the feeling that this right may soon disappear. There's a
lot of anti-photography sentiment out there, virtually all of it misdirected
IMHO.