Subject: [Leica] Kodachrome scanning/VueScan
From: "Paul Bolam" <Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 22:09:35 +0100

I use mainly Kodachrome 200 and was interested in the scanning thread
regarding VueScan software, so I decided to download VueScan and compare
results.

I selected a shot of my 10 month old baby son taken on Kodachrome 200. It
was shot indoors using available light at sunset. It is a close-up of the
baby's face using an R7 and 80-200 lens, handheld at F4.

Now, I scanned it into Photoshop v.5 using an LS-30 scanner with both sets
of software and compared the results side by side.

I was very surprised at the difference between the software. The Nikon Scan
looked muted compared to the VueScan. However, in terms of realism the
VueScan's highlights were washed out but, in general, it had punchier
colours.

When looking at the reflection in my son's eye, you can see loads more
detail in the Nikon Scan.

Therefore, I played around with the image gamma on VueScan but could not get
the detail back into the highlights. The image gamma ranged from 1 to 3.

Now, I liked the punchier colours of VueScan but still want to maintain
detail in the highlights. Can anyone suggest a solution?

If I hadn't downloaded VueScan I'd be none the wiser, however, I don't want
to miss what might be excellent software that just needs a tweak here and
there! Without the detail in the original scan there's nothing that
Photoshop can do to help.

Sadly though, neither scan has the wonderful sunset glow of the original
chrome.
Thanks in advance,
Paul.