Subject: Re: [Leica] Warning, this shutter burns!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:44:22 -0700

Robert Furness wrote:

> Warning, this shutter burns!

> I first received the 0.72 and the 90mm, very, very nice lenses, I
> played with them to learn how to manipulate them, to get a good feel.
> That night I left my camera on my desk at home, when I went to get
> them the next morning there was a huge hole in the shutter. The only
> light in my office is a window oriented north, therefore never any
> sun, I also have two computer screens and a small quartz lamp which
> was on low, a lamp which I could look sraight at without flicking an
> eye. Had the camera which had a 90mm lense on, been directly facing
> the light of my lamp? It must have since the  shutter burned...<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bienvenue  Robert,

A good first post and a sad story to the LUG of your experience with an
M6. It's unfortunate no one made you aware of the potential for curtain
burning if the camera is pointed at the sun or is subjected to direct
light of the sun.  However, it seems almost impossible for the light of
a quartz lamp to burn a large hole in the shutter curtain.

Is it possible the day before you discovered the hole burnt that you
inadvertently placed the camera in the car in a way that the sun shone
directly into the lens or in some other location that could have created
the same condition?

If the light from a quartz lamp or any other type of high intensity
lighting, as on a movie set or TV studio, I'm sure I'd have had holes
burnt a long time ago or other LUG members would have shared your
experience.  I'm not saying it didn't happen from the quartz light, but
it certainly seems quite questionable.

I'm sure you'll have many responses to this situation over the next few
days, so hang on, as it could become extremely interesting. :-)

ted