Subject: [Leica] Internet Years vs Leica Years
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:46:33 +1000

Hello lucky people who have long lasting Leicas,

I recently bought a new computer (not saying what, that's not the point)
and hooked up my 7 year old laser printer to it.  They wouldn't play
nice together.  Needed more memory for the printer, which I subsequently
found is no longer supported by the manufacturer.  A whole day of
phoning around found a source for memory boards, at $400 US equivalent.
Stuff that.  I'm glad I didn't buy the board because two days later the
fuser gave up the ghost.  Geez!

So now I'm looking for a new printer and a scanner, but I am honestly
not enjoying the prospect of spending good money on these things.  I'd
rather spend the dough on a Leica lens that I know will serve me well
for 40 years and then be able to sell it on the Telepathic-net to
someone who will enjoy it for another 40.

How do people rationalise spending big bucks on digital gear?

People talk about 'Internet Years', but I think I prefer 'Leica Years'.

Regards

Rick (beam me back Oscar) Dykstra