Subject: Re: [Leica] Analog vs. digital
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:30:55 +1000

Dan Post wrote:

 Thirty
> years ago, when my grandmother had to be put into an extended care facility,
> my parents 'cleaned' up the house. I was away in the Navy, and when I came
> back, I was hoorified to find that they had tossed out years and years of
> negatives that had been kept in a dresser in the house!

Hi Dan,

I just found your message, unread and in a dark corner of my Netscape.
Wish I'd read it earlier.  The mum and dad camera buyers I mentioned
didn't want a camera for computer use.  That's why I steered 'em toward
a film P&S.

I have a similar story to yours about old photos.  My mum had a stress
breakdown, gee, about 20 years back now, brought about by subconcious
recollections of the war in Holland.  As a mature age entry teacher here
in Australia she was seeing her school's headmaster bossing the kids
around like herself and younger siblings had been years before.
Bastard.  Anyway, as therapy she was given the task of assembling photo
albums for each of us 4 of her own children.  It helped a lot.  But she
used scissors to cut away the excess areas of the prints.  ARGGHHH!
She's a Leica user like me now and we have a lot of fun discussing our
pics, but its best for us to avoid the subject of those albums.  As she
says, she wasn't well.  But she's a great mum, and grandmother.  My
father just shakes his head at the money our cameras cost, and at the
way we prattle on about them.

People who grew up through the war and after (in Europe) should be given
the time to tell their stories, now that enough time has passed for them
to do so.  Would make the rest of us appreciate how lucky we are.

Best regards

Rick Dykstra