Subject: Re: [Leica] Cheapshot, now SMUG
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:01:30 -0700

Hi everyone!

     The SMUG is the latest 'spin off' list.  I've seen some other spin off
lists.  For example, there's an 'alternate photography' list, dealing mostly
with older processes like platinum and gum printing.  Someone started a
spin off list, I subbed, but there were few posts, the subject was well
handled on the original list.

    Another example, I'm on the Rollei list and someone started a list
that was to deal with only the 600x series reflex cameras.  The volume
of the original list was small enough to handle this, and I didn't subscribe
(lack of a 600x camera), and can't comment on the activity of that list.

    However, I am subbed at the NikonMF mailing list, a spinoff of the 'big'
Nikon list.  The NikonMF list is for manual focus Nikon cameras and lenses
and is moderately active.

    I question whether the SMUG will be very active, as many M series users
have screw mount lenses with adaptors and discuss such issues here.  I'm
not going to subscribe, but if the SMUG creates an archive, it will certainly
be a resource.

					Cheers,

							Rich Lahrson
							tripspud@wenet.net