Subject: Re: [Leica] photographing dead people.....
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:54:51 -0700

"Birkey, Duane" wrote: and very eloquently.

> We have a newspaper in Ecuador that generally runs pictures of accident
> victims on the front page....  I've passed a lot of accidents in Ecuador
> where people were killed and bodies were hanging out of windows or  laying
> out on the pavement.... and a nearby horrific airplane crash... and I've had
> my cameras with me.... I've never even considered taking pictures of dead
> people... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  snip!

HI Duane,

In the situations you pointed out I'd react the same.  Even though this
is a hypothetical case of a girl killed right before you and there she
is lying out on the street, I can't imagine taking pictures.

If ever there was a time to keep in mind: " Do unto others, as you'd
have them do unto you!"

It's so simple and yet when considering your actions towards others in
times of grief, it should be paramount in ones thoughts!  Sure in the
heat of a war it's different, it's all part of the action going on and
one isn't relating to what's happening in the same manner as on the
street where you live.

In my innocents as a rookie news photographer I rushed to a late night
fire where a couple of young girls died.  As I arrived the firemen were
bringing them out on stretchers under covers, you couldn't see them but
you knew what they were. I shot one picture with big flash bulb going
off on the Speed Graphic when the father, whom I didn't know was there,
came running at me screaming about taking pictures of his children. Talk
about a learning experience!

I swore after that incident I'd always relate to...."If that were me
would I want someone taking pictures?"  And I never have intruded in or
on the grief of another human being in the everyday world we live in.

ted