Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Shades of hoods!
From: Rick Floyd <rick_floyd@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:35:34 -0400

on 4/11/00 12:18 PM, Henry Ambrose at digphoto@nashville.net wrote:

>> I have and heavily use the latest version of the 50 Summilux with built-in
>> shade. I have not a single complaint. The shade is stiff and when pulled
>> out, stays out. And it is small enough that it doesn't block much of the
>> viewfinder. Which is my biggest complaint about the M camera system and
>> probably why I will continue to push my film one more stop rather than buy
>> a Noctilux.
>>
>> Jim
> Huhh - go figure!
>
> My 50 Summicron's hood is very loose. If I walk around with it it gets
> pushed in time after time. Any little bump seems to do it. And I'm pretty
> careful.
>
> I've seen the stacked filter ring approach mentioned and it should work
> fine. I want a plastic/hard rubber hood for impact absorbtion. Maybe it
> makes a difference, maybe not. I've even had thoughts of (don't laugh or
> gag) finding the just right little piece of rubber hose (black, of
> course) and glueing it onto a filter ring or slipping it over the factory
> hood.
>
> Maybe I'll look today.
>
> Wow, a piece of radiator hose would make about 20 lens shade/bumpers.
> Won't that look nice with little threads hanging off the end and blue
> writing down the side:)
>
> I've currently got messages out looking for someone to make a nice
> machined focus tab for the 50 Summicron. It'll be like the one on the
> current 35 and attach semi-permanently. Anybody else want one?
>
> Henry Ambrose

Henry:

The loose hood on the Summicron has always bothered me.  I've tried
alternatives such as the hood from the Elmarit, no-name brands and filter
rings.  The thing I have settled on is a very thin O-ring from my hardware
store.  It slides (rolls) back for retracting the hood for storage and rolls
forward against the front to keep it in place during usage.  Works well, is
thin and black so it doesn't stand out and only cost about 50 cents.

As far as a focusing tab, I bought one directly from Leica.  It is plastic,
thinner than the one on my 35 Summicron ASPH and better contoured as well.
It cost $15.00, but so far I haven't had the guts to epoxy it on.

Rick