Subject: RE: [Leica] Analog vs. digital (long and barely OT)
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:31:04 -0400

> If you placed
> a second lens in the film plane and used it to magnify the image, you
could
> use a larger sensor array to capture the larger image behind the original
> film plane.

I've thought about that in the opposite sense...for medium format, to use
the current crop of mid-res sensors for, say, a Hasselblad pre-view (for
checking exposure etc.).  I don't know how the optics work out though, if
it can even be done.

Perhaps someone with more optical expertise can say how this could work
(designing an intermediate lense that would enlarge the image and re-focus
it, say to use a Leitz lense for a 2 1/4 sensor.  Or is it a waste of time,
and best done with an entirely new optical design...which would be my first
guess.

> Perhaps MF and LF cameras are the logical place to start high resolution
> digital photography...

You're right on the money.  Leaf makes very high res backs for MF and LF...
 Their problem(s) are they are slow, and they are expensive!  They use a
different type of sensor than is used in today's commercial digital
cameras.