Subject: RE: [Leica] Photos on the Web, TED!! help?
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:45:31 -0500

> READ THIS AUSTIN!  They paid, without me asking, residual cheques
> arrived completely unannounced! Simply because that's the way it's done!
> Whether you agree or not!

Good for you!  If they felt that was the right thing to do, that's their
business.  That has nothing to do with this discussion though.

> I fought the likes of you for near 40 years trying to educate public and
> industry buyers of photographers that when they hire a photographer to
> shoot an assignment, the photographer owns all rights just as an artist
> does. And any future use of any of the material above and beyond what
> the assignment was originally commissioned for is paid extra.

I don't know if I'd call it 'educating' when your goal is to convince
someone they should continue to pay you for something they already paid you
in full for.  There is a good word for that.

If a photographer (artist) goes out and buys the film (canvas etc.), sets
up the scene, provides all the materials, ideas, etc for the shoot
(painting), then absolutely, s/he owns the rights.  NO question in my mind.
 If a client comes to me, and pays for the models/materials, pays me my day
rate, gives me the subject matter for the shoot (painting), it's theirs.

>  Your analogy of being
> paid only once totally excludes all future use of the original works!

You got it.  YOU WERE PAID FOR THE WORK!  Not only were you paid for the
work, you were provided with assignment  and all your expenses covered etc.
 It was NOT your idea, you only took the pictures!  How much did you taking
the pictures add to the success of the assignment?  That should be
reflected in your compensation for the assignment.

Suppose the models had the same agreement, and the lighting guy, and the
makeup artist, and the art director and the caterer etc etc etc.  Remember,
the success of this shoot is largely based on how good the food is you are
going to eat, so, of course, the caterer has provided his/her artistic
talent in preparing you a healthy meal so you can work better, so they
certainly are key, and as such, should share in the future profits of this
endeavor, right?  If everyone had this entitlement belief, nothing could
ever get done.

OOPS, forgot someone in this chain of profit!  Though you bought your
camera, and paid in full for it, the guys who designed it, are artists in
their own right.  They should be compensated too, for any photographs made
with the camera they designed!  After all, you would not have been able to
create these images if it weren't for their obvious brilliance in creating
the very tool you are using!

> would hope you understand, that every time a movie is re-run on TV the
> actors are paid a residual.

If that is the contract they signed.  Not ALL do.  Also, if one takes less
pay to make that arrangement, then it certainly seems fair to share in the
profits.

I understand the industry and the issues at hand very very well.  If you
have any valid points on why you are entitled to this, aside from personal
remarks, I am all ears.  I have my values, and they lead me to believe the
way I do.  If you don't like my values or belief, that doesn't make my
values or belief wrong.