Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux pix
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:44:26 -0800

Ken Iisaka wrote:

> >You do notice that there were no shots of the moment of birth.  There
> >was no way I could taken any photographs then, as my wife was holding
> >onto me so tightly.>>>>>>>>>>

Paul Chefurka responded:
> I was wondering about that very thing!  Given the later photos, I guess she
> didn't snap your shutter finger - I've heard a lot about the "This is all
> your fault" grip that birthing mothers can exert :-)>>>>>>>>>>>>

From the old guy who was told to "go home, we'll call you when it's all
over"  times of birthing.

"You want to what?  Be there when it's happening?  Go home young man,
you've done your thing. Now leave the rest to us!"  quote medical
practitioner upon me delivering my wife to hospital for first birthing
1953!  Then following 2nd, 3rd and fourth!   It were different times folks!

And about that grip they have when they want to deliver the...."it's all
your fault" message?

Given the number of birthings I've shot over the years, let me attest to
guys crying because she's got a hold of him and near breaking
his....what's it.... to deliver her, " I'm suffering, you suffer with
me" message!   Not a pretty Leica picture.  :)

They can be "mean mother's to be"  in making up for your few moments of
heavy breathing! :)

So I guess the older guys here who were never allowed in for their child
birthing can feel lucky they never experienced the ...  " Your paying
for this grip!" :)

However, I always tell young guys "be there, not only for the support to
your wife, but to experience this small miracle of life that wasn't
there a few minutes ago and now here's this wonderful brand new human
being!"  It's an incredible moment!

A  wonderful experience each time I attend a birthing with my Leicas
capturing the moments, maybe hours of moments.  It's definitely a tough
call for the "father to be to also shoot the event."  Simply because
he's also part of the event and has things to do in support of his wife
that eliminates the picture taking.  I mean, he is part of the subject
to be captured and you can't be in your own pictures and give TLC at the
same time.

Call me!  Been there, done that many many times, it's almost old hat. I
say, "almost old hat" as I still get all emotional when the little
critter arrives. :)

ted