Subject: [Leica] M5 problem
From: Robert Beaudoin <bussbearm@cedep.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 21:21:37 -0500

Bonsoir,

  I just had a small problem with my M5 and I thought I d mention it to
other M5 users, however it may apply to other lesser Leicas :-) like the
M2-3-4-42-6.

  I was near finishing a roll when suddently it was not possible to either
advance or rewind the film.  Obviously I did not want to force the mechanism
so in the basement I went and out came the film using an improvised changing
bag...old black pants.  After putting the film in the can, I inspected the
camera.  The culprit was clearly visible.  On the M5, at least, there is a
hole on the top of the sprocket wheel.  In that hole there is a small screw
that seems to hold the inside of the sprocket wheel.  That small screw
seemed to have decided to wiggle out of its nest, jamming the camera
completely.  The problem was instantly cured with a jeweler s screwdriver.

  So M5 users (and others) may want to take a look a that sprocket wheel,
just in case.

  Regard,

  Robert (Un chevalier sans blason)