Subject: Re: [Leica] Cold camera cold film
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:50:32 -0800

Carl Socolow wrote:

>That being said, I would put my camera and lens in plastic prior to
>taking inside so that any condensation forms on this outer barrier
>rather than on cold camera surfaces. Once camera temp has equilibrated
>to room temp then you can remove it.>>>>

Hi Carl,

Excellent advice puttting the camera in a zip lock freezer bag ...BEFORE
GOING INSIDE.... otherwise the camera and lens become soaking wet with
condensation.

And if you find you have to return outdoors....your camera is toast. oops I
mean "frozen solid!!!":)

Along the line of workig out doors in the cold then having to go inside to
shoot before everything warms up......keep another lens of similar focal
length inside your jacket/parka to keep as warm as your body, then if you
do need to shoot as soon as going indoors, pop the inner lens on and it
wont fog and you can acrry right on shooting,

Yep the body will be wet on the outside but it wont affect the picture
taking as it's the lens you need to worry about more than anything else.
Besides a dry hanky can clear the condensation off the view finder window
as it will for sure become immpossible to see through.

used this system many times as a news photographer in Ottawa. Even on plain
ordinary fall cold days.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant