Subject: Re: [Leica] Cold camera cold film
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:29:52 +0100

Thank you very much for the information and the hints and tips about
operating a camera in cold weather.  It appears that I have been
following the wrong advice for years.

This is what I have learned from the posts both on-list and off-list.

1.  Carry the camera exposed to ambient air.
2.  Pay attention to persperation that can cause condensation.
3.  Be thankfull that I have a mechanical M as they work down to -20C.
4.  No special winterizing on a mechanical M.
5.  Use the right eye and direct breath away from the camera.
6.  The focussing ring will be the first to seize, set hypefocal
distance before it happens.
7.  Film and lens changing is a problem use a second body if possible.
8.  Protect the camera when returning to a warm room to prevent camera
damage.
9.  Sight the lens in ambient air for fog.
10.  Keep your long underwear on.

All this is really excellent advice and I am very grateful for luggers
taking the time to share their experience.  In particular I want to
point out that a lot of the above information arrived off-list and I
hope the posters don't mind if I included it in this summary.  Emanual
Lowi also gave some great advice on protecting the camera when
returning home, which will probably save me some repair bills.  Again,
many thanks.

Alan