Subject: Re: [Leica] do your homework, please!
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:39:06 +1000

> > Social Text which inspired it is Alan Sokal, spelled with a
> > 'k' not a 'c'.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Aaron

Aaron, Only nit pickers and ex school teachers give a crap, about a small
spelling mistake.

What really counts, is the content of the Post.  If you can't figure out, what
was meant, just because someone misspelled a word.

Don't forget, People who's native language is not english most of the time
speak one more language than people whose mother tongue is english.
My father, before he retired, worked in a German university. He was
exceptionally proficient  in the German language. His job was to correct and to
put in to understandable
german, the articles and thesis's written by the professors and doctors of this
university.

I saw some of them, when my father took some home to work on them. Most of them
where incredible badly written full of spelling mistakes.

These reports where written, by highly intelligent people. To me, this shows,
that the contents is, what counts and not a spelling problem here or there.

I believe, even Einstein made a spelling mistake once. Or so, the story goes.

I have quite some problems, with the capitalizing of some words. The worst one
is the simple "I". In german it is spelled "i" . The same applies to the rest
if the spelling.
Many more words in german than in english are spelt with a capital letter at
start of the word.
Even the meaning of the same word can vary, depending if it is spelled with a
capital or a small letter.

For example the word: "fliegen" with a small  f,  means flying. The same word:
Fliegen"  with a capital F means:" The flies". Those little buzzing annoying
insects.

So don't be to pedantic, looking for spelling mistakes. You're may not be
always be perfect either.

Regards, Horst Schmidt