Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters for black and white
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:57:12 -0400

Jean-Claude:
I was surprised at the difference a red or orange filter can make in a
portrait! If someone had red, or ruddy complexion, or red 'bumps' or
blemishes, they seem to 'disappear' when using a red filter! It works well
with girls and women, especially in 'environmental' portraits with greenery
or leaves as a backdrop- the leaves become very dark!.
I found that the green, or Yellow-Green (to a lesser extent) will darken
most men's complexions, giving more texture, or lending a more masculine,
'swarthy' look to male portraits. It is a matter of taste- I used to shoot
with and without the filter, and let the subject or client decide on their
favorite. Character portraits of men, especially older men with lots of
interesting lines and such on their faces ( dare I say- wrinkles!?) are much
more interesting taken with a green filter.
Play around with them- explore the results- you may find that your style of
photography might benefit with the judicious use of filtration! It is just
one more way to use the light, or certain portions of it!
Dan