Subject: Re: [Leica] (long) Anthony: no apparent difference between lenses
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:51:11 +0200

From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 1999 05:43

> My point is that your test is not a valid one.

Not sure what you mean by "valid," but at least some differences would be
obvious even in these samples.  A large different in contrast or significant
image distortion would surely be easy to see, for example.  It was just for fun,
though.  I guess many Leica users are too serious to ever have any fun.  In a
way, they remind me of Mac users (the same creeping paranoia that makes them
believe that everyone else is out to get them).

> Then the photos were taken from different locations.

They were both taken from the same spot.

> What's more, they were taken at different times ...

One was taken in early afternoon, one was taken in late afternoon.

> ... compare the sky in the two shots ...

That was mostly weather.  One was taken on a cloudless day, the other was taken
on an overcast day.

> Big no-no for a comparison.

Those were the only photos I had handy.

> Perhaps run through the minilab on different days,
> by different operators, etc.

Correct.

> My original scans, displayed at 100% size, are the equivalent of 36x24
> enlargements.  They correspond to 53 lp/mm.
>
> B.S.!

The math is easy enough to do.

> 1 - the scan resolutions given by the mfr's are *interpolated*
> resolutions.

Nikon gives optical resolutions.

> 2 - the resolutions that you invite *comparison* of are
> - as I said - of far lower resolution than that (700x900).

I know.  I was pointing out that I don't see any significant differences on the
original scans, either.

> 3 - even if you *are* getting a true 53 lp/mm, remember
> that Velvia does better than 80 lp/mm, and that the 50
> Summicron-M exceeds that resolution (cite E. Puts).

So does the lens on the Yashica T5, as far as I can tell.

> 4 - What were your shutter speeds?

If I tell you the shutter speeds, you'll be able to figure out which photo is
which.  Besides, I don't know what shutter speed the Yashica used.

> 5 - What were the apertures used?

See above.

> I would guess not. I would guess that due to camera
> movement, etc., that you are getting *less* than 50 lp/mm.

If so, that would mean that the Summicron is no better for handheld work than
the Yashica T5.  Do you agree?

> Were the cameras on big, heavy, well-damped tripods?

No, everything was handheld.

> No. An experiment without control(s) is uninterpretable;
> hence it is not an experiment. The use of different targets
> alone (Notre Dame at different times of day, under different
> lighting conditions) disqulaifies your "experiment".

Oh dear.  So now what?

> I agree that the T5 lens is amazing for its price. It is
> certainly of professional quality and more than adequate
> for many uses. BUT...

Well... you've just implied above that the Summicron will give no better results
unless you are using a big, heavy tripod, which is kind of the antithesis of the
way most Leicas are used.

> No, on a tripod shooting test targets (newspaper, immobile
> landscapes [cliffs], etc.).

Here again, is this the normal way in which most people use their Leicas?  If I
want to shoot from a tripod, I use one of my SLRs.

> The differences are there, but are much more apparent
> with the lenses used wide open.

Perhaps so, but you've cited so many conditions necessary to see them that one
wonders if they have any significance in real-world, everyday shooting.

> A huge difference is that the Yaschica/Zeiss lens is rather flare
> prone, even with a makeshift shade.

I haven't checked this.  Sounds like an interesting experiment.  I'll try it.

> Your 'experiment' would not reveal this critical real-world
> difference.

I'll try one that does, although I have no plans of actually pointing the
cameras into the sun.  Near the sun, perhaps.  I have some slides taken into the
sun through trees ... let's see ... true, no obvious flare there.  I haven't
taken any with the T5 to compare, though.

> I don't want to sell either one; I am not going to take the
> 35 Summilux ASPH out on the Gulf of Maine in a small (14')
> research boat. That's what the T5 (and the old Ricoh fitted
> with used Pentax SMC lenses) are for.

That is my logic as well.  The UV filter on my Leica costs as much as the T5.

> If you're not, you can either choose not to care (a perfectly
> valid choice), or you can blather on about how there's
> no 'real' difference between a $200 P/S and a $2000 lens.

I haven't blathered at all.  I've just watched others jump to the defensive with
respect to Leica lenses, even though nobody is under attack.  Interesting.

  -- Anthony