Subject: [Leica] Re: focus woes
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:09:57 +0200

>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:24:29 -0400
>From: "David Strang" <dstrang@up.net>
>Subject: [Leica] Focus woes
>
>Well, I got my 180mmf2 back last Monday from Leica NJ. Leica did a nice job.
>
>My first assignment(s) I decided to use it for were volleyball and some night
>football. One request I had was to get some shots of the new coach who is 7-8
>months pregnant and very camera shy. During the match I just located myself at
>the end of the bench area and fired away. I was no more than 15-20 feet away.
>Shooting at 1/125 and f2, I latched the focuse to her eyebrows. I was using my
>R5 with the matte screeen. I was very impressed on being able to focus on
>individual hairs in her eyebrows and eyelashes. I was using a monopod and
>oriented the camera vertical to use the front release on the R-motor.
Everything
>seemed solid as I shot.
>
>When I examined the negatives, her face was way out of focus! In fact the focus
>was on her near shoulder (rather sharp fabric/textures).
>
>The day before I had "practised" by shooting a girl's basketball game where I
>noticed the shots I took of the bench exhibited this peculiar trait: my subject
>on the right was out of focus, but items to the left (in camera) were in focus.
>In fact, the subject girl wasout of focus but the girl on her right (left in
>camera) was in sharp focus.
>
>I have used matte screens in my Canon's for more than 15 years (F1n:SC/SJ/SK)
>where I often used my 85mmf1.2L wide open with very good success (great lens!),
>and I shoot a 300mmf2.8L wide open as well for hockey with considerable success
>(another great lens!).  I also use my EOS1 with its matte screen in manual mode
>at maximum aperatures.
>
>The R5 was purchased used from Jim Kuehl in May or June. I set the diopter
>adjustment and it hasn't been budged since. My opinion is that the screen
is not
>held in place correctly or the mirror is out of alignment.
>
>HAS ANYONE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS OR KNOW HOW I CAN VERIFY THIS?

(snip)
>Opinions requested.
>
>Regards,
>
>Dave Strang

Dave,

I met the same problem with my R5 (n° 1718216), bought some months ago. I
sent it to Leica France.
Answer : "remise en état du tirage optique, parallélisme et mise au point"
(rough translation : reconditioning of the optical ? (= distance between the
film plane and the bayonet mount), parallelism and focusing)
Happily my camera was under warranty : free lunch for me.

Dominique