Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:perceptions and street photography
From: "Paul Klingaman" <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:13:48 GMT

I think Mark is right about photophiles, males in particular.  The
perception of a man with a camera has changed greatly throughout the years.
However...
(stepping up on soap box)

If you know in your heart that you are not a perv, and your intentions are
pure, You should NEVER let your fear of what someone thinks of you hinder
what you really want to do.  If you're just plain shy, that's one thing.
Work at it, and it *will* get better.  However, if you decide not to lift up
that camera just because you're afraid of looking like a perv, that's almost
a sin.  No doubt getting candids of certain people might be easier for a
woman, but hey...have you checked out corporate America lately?  It's no
secret which gender has the upper hand there.  Bite your lip, swallow that
lump in your throat and do it.  Take it like a man.  Before I get the
flames, I'm not talking about making anyone feel uncomfortable here; only
yourself, for the first few times.  You know the difference between right
and, "too far."  In the latter case, back off and respect people's wishes.
Maybe it's easier for me to say, because I'm a Gen-X'er, and I'm just
expected to look like an indiot.  I do know that I worried about how I
looked, what clothes I wore, and who I hung out with for four years of high
school, and 5 1/2 more of college(yeah, yeah.  I know.)  I have finally
broke free from those chains, and must look like a complete weirdo to
everyone I point my camera at.  I JUST DON'T CARE.  The prints that hang on
my apartment walls give me much more joy than looking normal ever did.  They
are expressions of my true self.  Look pretty when you display the images,
not when you make them.  Of course, the affirmation Mark suggests couldn't
hurt, either.

(stepping down from soap box, ready to stop, drop and roll.)
- -Paul