Subject: Re: [Leica] true revolution in the darkroom
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:53:48 +0200

From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 20:00

> If Leica quality is only acutance, this would be true.
> Sure, for digital printing, things are just getting
> started. But one day, it will prove Leica lenses are
> superior in color as well as black and white.

The quality of a Leica lens is quite obvious even in a very ordinary film scan.
You don't need anything special to see it.  As soon as the image is digitized,
it's clear that there is something different about the lens used to take the
picture.  It's true that you don't always see the limits of resolution, but the
overall quality of the image is vastly better.  Most scanners can scan better
than most lenses can resolve, in terms of contrast, saturation, etc., so a very
good lens is easy to spot in the scan.  It may not show in the print, of course,
but you'll see the difference before it gets that far.

In my scans of images taken with my M6, the quality of the lens is obvious.

  -- Anthony