Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:17:44 EDT

In a message dated 09/04/1999 10:45:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
ohlen@lightspeed.net writes:

<<
 I don't know why you make these types of speculations.  Since Leica is
 responsible for the design and the final quality control what difference
would
 it make.  Factoring the lens to a different manufacturer would indicate that
 Leica does not feel they have the capacity to efficiently manufacture the
lens
 in-house.  My concern would be if they became so arrogant and self-involved
 that they thought that they could do everything in house, with minor
factoring
 to outside sources.  If they did that, they probably couldn't even build a
 motor drive for their camera.

 Bill Larsen
 ohlen@lightspeed.net >>
I believe Mr. Cardish is making the point that when work is "farmed out" such
as Solms did with the M-6 pressure plates, quality often suffers.

Further, if the lenses are "farmed out" to Japanese manufacturers, should we
not expect to pay no more than comparable Japanese made lenses rather than
paying super high prices for what most believe is superior German
craftsmanship?

It may be there is no difference between Japanese and German made lenses at
this point.

Mr. Cardish made an excellent point that is well worth considering rather
than having it dismissed out of hand.