Subject: Re: [Leica] Serious question about fast lenses
From: Christian Payot <christian.payot@span.ch>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:57:00 +0200

Bernard a écrit :

> My problem is the Canon IS lenses. If this really works, then why do we
> need fast lenses? I've seen some graphs which report a resolution-loss
> when the IS is on, but does that really show versus a "normal" lens
> which is all shaky at slow shutter times?

Bernard,

An IS lens only allows you to photography HAND HELD at lower speed. The
only difference is you do not need a tripod. In fact, you must not use IS
with a tripod.

Faster lenses are justified, because :
 - The action that is photographed does not go slower because of the
lens...
 - A faster lens allows you to work with slower film. An IS lens does not.
 - The depth of field is often a very important aspect of telephotography.
The bookeh will be better with a 300 mm 2,8 than with a 75-300 mm zoom IS
at 5,6.
 - It is accepted as a general rule that a lens is better at 2 stops under
the full aperture. IS mechanism does not change the rule. But what is the
quality of a lens at f11 ?
 - Cost
 - Perhaps : lock of resolution, etc...

My 0.02$