Subject: Re: [Leica] MALLORY FOUND! CAMERA?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 11:38:31 -0400

Marc-
Is there a website where updates are available? This is nearly as
fascinating as the discovery of Otzi the Iceman! I trust Mallory will be
afforded all appropriate honours, regardless of whether the camera is found
or not! These guys were true explorers- before all the amenities of modern
technology. Thinking about doing what they did with out the modern
lightweight tents, GPS, radios, oxygen equipment, and modern outdoor
clothing shows what intrepid adventurers they were!
Insofar as the camera if concerned, if it is found then there is not doubt
that they will get some decent images; I recall the case I read about in the
70's of a man buying an old camera in France, and finding a roll of film in
it. Although it was kept in the camera at ambient temperatures, there were
some good images of WWI French soldiers marching in Paris. I can only assume
that at the lowered temperatures where the body of George Mallory was found
that if the camera is found, it might have some interesting images.
Flash- The radio just had an item mentioning that the body was found several
thousand feet below where the party was last seen- they feel thay either
fell or had descended, possibly reaching the summit... mentioned a
website... Darn, to busy typing to catch it!
Well, if you hear more, keep us posted!
Dan