Subject: Re: [Leica] AA, HCB & Leicas & Eric
From: "Bill" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:49:08 -0800

I did not used to like Adams.  I always thought his work was derivative of and
an extension of the Hudson River School.  His "wilderness" photographs always
seemed to reflect this school and were, to me, a cliche (they had already been
done, albeit in a different medium).

As I get deeper into Adams, I find that I really enjoy his perception of
people and their situations.  His work, "Family at Melones" (1953) really
strikes a chord with me as does his work "Homecoming, Hornitos" (1944).  I
also find that I like his portraiture style such as "John Marin" (1957).  In
short, I intend to study much more of Adams work.

As regard the claim that urban settlements and rural settlements are
essentially different, I would contend that a proper urban area is simply a
collection of villages tied together economically (and of course through other
infrastructure).  You do not photograph an urban city...you photograph village
scenes within that city.

As regards the claim that the U.S. is unique in its "unspoiled" nature and
majesty  ---  Sorry Eric, I cannot afford to give you a grant to re-educated
you in your world view ;-)  (that's a big sardonic smile).

Regards,
Bill Larsen