Subject: Re: [Leica] Image Editing Software Help
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:22:34 -0800

> > snip...Can anyone recommend something good in image editing software?
> > Hopefully something other than the $600 plus Adobe Photoshop.  I just
> > bought a film scanner so am brand new to digitizing and manipulating
> > images and don't know if I could benefit from all the features of
> > Adobe in the foreseeable future....
> >
> > Don
snip

GraphicConverter 3.5 is shareware for the Mac. You can use it for free
at least on the short term if not the long depending on your morals. And
when you get it it's supercheap. It might be cross platform I don't
know, we don't know what you have. It has more features than many you
can pick off the shelf for thrice the bucks is my guess (I read in MacWorld?).
Getting into the whole digital thing with your scanner you don't want to
fall behind on your Photoshop literacy. In my opinion its the same to
say "I don't really have to learn how to use a computer as to say "I
don't really have to learn how to use Photoshop." It is fairily
indispensable doing what we are doing.
And simpler programs can often be harder to use. A question posed a week
ago was to the effect: Your camera or your computer? More to the Point
might have been Camera or Photoshop? As they are both basic
indispensable tools at possibly close to the same root level.
Mark Rabiner