Subject: Re: [Leica] Well... many more of you will hate me now. (off topic, long)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:46:51 -0800

- --------------6416951A8D2447F35DAD35E9

Jim Brick wrote:

> The News Media.
>
> It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see, hear, and know, how biased our
> news reporting establishment is.

Jim, I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with almost everything you say.
First, separate out TV from newspapers.  One is entertainment and the other does
still retain some semblance of journalism.  If you don't read a newspaper, and a
good one, there is no way you can even vote responsibly.

I can tell you this:  When I went through journalism school the one single,
overarching concept beat into our heads in every single class concerned
objectivity.  I doubt there are many full time practicing journalists working at
good newspapers who do not strive with all of their resources to produce good
reporting--words or pix.  My father, also a journalist, had this same deep ethic.
His feeling is that there is no truth, only points of view, and that the
journalist can only try to relate as many points of view as possible and--and this
is a key element--trust the readers to use their wisdom and judgement.  It is all
we can do.

The shallowness of TV news (I won't give it the credibility of being called
journalism) has brought down the whole "media," but solid reporting can be found.
And as there are points of view, we need to read various sources to try to make
mature decisions.  It is our responsibility as citizens.  If we only watch a bit
of TV and a movie, we have absolutely no right to complain about anything
politians, corporations or governments are doing.

Are newspapers perfect?  Hardly.  And are under assault from generally
conservative corporate ownership and from budget constraints.  Little media today
is owned and operated by people passionate about journalism.  It has become the
tool of big business in many cases and I do see that bias terribly strong.  But
still I read and compare, looking for glimpses of the truth.

If we all don't support good journalism by reading, and reading critically, and
interacting, we soon won't have much more than advertising sheets filled with
press releases.  The government, the politicians and the corporations would love
that.  No one to question anything.  A nation, a world, of sheep.  It is up to
each of us to demand good journalism.  I think the future of the world is at
stake.

And what does that have to do with Leica???   Well, if those of us on this list
were part of the flock, we'd all be using nothing but Canon or Nikon.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego