Subject: Re: [Leica] volunteer picture taking
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:11:37 -0500

Well, I may be the exception to this dialogue on volunteer picture
taking. I work in a community in which I am well known, very busy with
my work and very well received. I consider myself very much a part of
this community and it has been good to me.

I consider it part of my civic duty to do one or two pro-bono jobs a
year. I ask for my materials and expenses to be covered. I only take on
jobs or projects that hold an interest for me and that I think will do
some good for those people who are the recipients of the services. That
means no PR jobs and grip and grins and stuff like that of bigwigs
getting or giving checks, etc. I retain all copyrights. Also, when I
take on one of these jobs it is with an understanding of where it will
begin and end.

I'm currently working in a project that involves several other photogs
as well. We're photographing the mentally retarded for an agency that
works with them and helps them lead as normal a life as they possibly
can. Sure, many of the staff are salaried but as social workers and such
they make nowhere near what I make with my commercial photography.

This project gives people in the community a chance to see the diversity
and strength of photography. It introduces them to people they would not
otherwise know. It gives the participating photogs (all of whom are
professionals) a chance to experiment and develop and perfect techniques
that they don't have the opportunity to do with their regular clients.

I don't feel bad about this. I don't feel used. I don't feel like
everyone who asks me to pick up my camera has to pay me something. There
is always time for that. What truly offends me more is having a client
nickel and dime me over $90 when I know they just received a contract to
build 50 townhouses at $250,000 each.

I probably won't get wealthy with this attitude of charity. But in my
heart I know it is the right thing to do.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/