Subject: [Leica] Re: Camera bags
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:40:18 -0500

I'm as much a bag junkie as anyone else.  I'm still looking for the perfect
bag: a fanny pack that handles all my R-stuff (4 bodies, lenses from 35mm
to 560), makes everything weigh next-to-nothing, and anticipates the
equipment I want: I think "90mm Summicron-R" and the aforementioned gem
pops into my hand.

I recently bought a Lowepro Orion for my non-wildlife kit: 2x R4sP,
35-50-90 Summicrons, an Elpro, film, retired undies, snacks, and a few
other things.  It doesn't make the stuff weigh any less and I actually have
to reach into the bag to get stuff out but otherwise I'm satisfied with it.
 If I need to take the 280 (f/4.8 Telyt-V) it's in a home-made pouch that
hangs from the pack's waist belt.

The wildlife kit goes in a similar-sized home-made fanny pack: 60, 280,
extension tubes, film, 10x40 trinovid, and the 400 in two pieces.  One SL
is on a lens, the other's hanging from the waist belt.  I'm still working
out a handy way to carry the 560 head, but a rock climber's chalk bag (w/o
chalk!!) is promising.  I wish I had thought of the reverse-opening lid
like most photo fanny packs but otherwise it works well.

I've noticed that I rarely use the wildlife lenses on the R-bodies, and
likewise prefer the compact R-bodies for the Summicrons.  A couple of Ms
with Summicrons would be much more compact ... but She Who Must Be Obeyed
would remind me that my wallet can't take that kind of abuse.

Doug Herr
Sacramento