Subject: Re: [Leica] vintage collapsibles
From: Ted Bradshaw <ted@junior60.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:12:47 +0000

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:05:04 -0700, "Joe Stephenson"
<joeleica@email.msn.com> wrote in response to a previous post:

> Subject: Re: [Leica] vintage collapsibles
>
> Dear Gary and Dawn,
> I, too, have given thought to a collaposable lens. However, upon reflection
> I decided to get a 150mm enlarger lens instead. The collaposable lenses look
> great, and are very small and handy. However, I have a recent Sumicron and a
> Summarit, so it really doesn't make sense to get another 50mm lenses. But it
> would be cool to have one . . . . .
> Sincerely,
> Joe Stephenson
> ++++++++++++
> Gary and Dawn wrote:
> I have been thinking of getting a second 50mm (don't tell my wife this, but
> I'd sure like a second M body) second hand to use for those f16 type of days,
> where wide open performance is not as crucial.  Do you guys have any
> thoughts on this.  I have a 50mm summicron and was thinking of getting a
> vintage 50mm f3.5 elmar in M mount?  Is this practical, or should I just
> stick with my 50mm cron or buy a new style collapsible?
> gary
>
> ------------------------------

If I can add a couple of comments, I would agree tit is indeed "cool" to
have one an even more "cool" to use it. A post-war coated 50mm f3.5
Elmar is a very pleasing lens to use and produces very satisfying
results too. It's inexpensive, small and light in weight also.

If you were to buy a screw-mount Elmar, you could fit it with a
screw-to-bayonet adaptor, use it on your M body and, after coming to an
agreement with your wife of course, buy a screw-mount body and try that
out too. Something like a Leica 111 or 111c/f carrying a 50mm Elmar
makes a very pocketable combination producing high quality results. If
you are using colour negative film in it, on "those f16 days" you would
not even need to carry a meter.

Hope this helps.

Ted Bradshaw.