Subject: Re: [Leica] carry-on luggage
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:50:53 -0800

Dale,

I've encountered these new sizing openings at the security check points (at
LAX, for one). I've always been able to squeeze my Lowe Magnum AW through,
but I've seen other people who were not so lucky. What I found interesting
was that the airlines say that if your bag doesn't fit, you have to go back
and check it - I've seen people go back to the ticket counter and be told
that they can take their over-size item on as carry-on if they pay a fee. A
woman I met on a flight recently where we went through this type of security
made it on to the plane with a huge, famed piece of art work. We got to
talking and she told me that the security inspectors had made her take it
back to the ticket counter to check, but the attendants at the ticket
counter let her pay a $20 fee and take it on board.

Makes you wonder if getting tough about carry-on size restrictions is really
for safety and convenience in the cabin or to find another way to charge
passengers.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Bryan